Match what Joe Maddon says with what he really means.
What Maddon Says:
1) “He is ok and he won’t miss any time”
2) “The injury is minor. He will only be out 1-2 days tops”
3) “We are going to put this player on the 15-day disabled list, and he will be back in 2 weeks.
4) “Did you see the play that the backup made? Other teams would be lucky to have starters like that.”
5) “Even though this player is struggling, we are going to stick with him.”
7) “We want to give this player 2 days off in a row so he is rested up for a long road trip.”
8) “We are going to use a bullpen by committee”
9) “Did you see the play that Navarro made?”
10) “We were stimulating the economy”
11) “His pitch count was up there”
12) "We will not drink Merlot"
What Maddon Means:
A) The player will be out for 1-2 days, even though he can play today
B) The player is going on the disabled list tomorrow and will miss 2 weeks, even though he could play in 2-3 days
C) Although the player is healthy after 2 weeks, we want to make sure he is 110% and he will be back in 5 weeks.
D) If we play hard daily, we will make the playoffs
E) I want to give a starter an extra day off and this way when the backup plays well, I get credit, and when the starter does something good on the road trip, I get credit. It’s a win-win situation for me.
F) This player is really sucking right now but I refuse to change the lineup because it might hurt his feelings, so hopefully we will naturally break out of the slump. I don’t care if it costs the team wins, as the players’ feelings are most important.
G) We have to remember he was an all-star last year and can still make great plays, even if he forgot how to hit and plays the field like a sloth.
H) I am going to switch pitchers for every batter from the 7th inning on until I find someone that works.
I) The pitch count is approaching 90, time to take him out, even if he does have a no hitter going
J) See, the backups can make great plays too! This means I should start them more often to give the starters more time off, even if we are playing on ESPN tonight.
K) The players are going to play dress-up on the upcoming road trip.
L) We will not drink Merlot
After following his trends for a few seasons, it really doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out what Joe Maddon actually means when he talks.