Friday, August 28, 2009

Please No....

As I'm hearing and reading the Scott Kazmir rumors, all I can think is "Please No!"

A few months ago, or even this past offseason, I could have understood a trade of Scott Kazmir. In fact, I even had told a friend this past offseason that the Rays should trade Kazmir at that time. He was on the decline at the time and we were not sure if he would be able to rebound. However, Kazmir has come back with a vengeance.

The timing of this trade, assuming it happens, makes zero sense.

To me, this says the Rays are starting to give up on the season. That's the only way I can see this trade being justified at this time. Kazmir has been very very good lately and would be an integral part of the rotation in a playoff push. The Rays are only 3.5 games out, and have no reason to give up on this season. Not only that, but the Rays signed Kazmir to an extension last season. He is not eligible for free agency for a few more seasons, and his contract is relatively cheap compared to his potential ability.

If Scott Kazmier were a lost cause and his value would never be higher, I would say go ahead and trade him for whatever you can get. But I don't see it this way after the way Kazmir has pitched over the last few weeks. I really hope the Rays' front office has a plan and a reason for trading Kazmir at this time. Otherwise, there are going to be a lot of disappointed fans and I am going to start counting down the days until pitchers and catchers report. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why.

No comments:

Post a Comment