Tuesday, August 18, 2009

This Pisses Me Off

Before I write this post, I'd like to point out that it's currently the top of the 3rd and the Rays are winning 1-0.

It really pisses me off when Joe Maddon gives these players extra rest, especially at this point of the season. Earlier today, I touched on the fact that it's now a sprint to the finish line. Joe Maddon needs to be playing his best players every day for the rest of the season. The Rays CANNOT afford to give up games here. Why Joe Maddon is giving Jason Bartlett a day off right after a day off is beyond me. Bartlett is a better fielder and better hitter than Reid Brignac. He is the leadoff hitter, and potentially the team MVP. The manager's job is to put the players in the best possible position to win. Joe Maddon has failed to do that tonight, no matter what the outcome of the game is. It doesn't take a pissed off rocket scientist to figure this out.

2 comments:

  1. Tell me if I'm wrong ...does anyone see another successful team/manager do these kind of things/decisions...Tell me... who???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no problem if Maddon gives players a day off during a long streak of games in a row, or giving the starting catcher the day off twice a week, or even making certain bullpen pitchers unavailable for games. What I have a problem with is the day off following or right before a scheduled off-day. I don't know another manager who does that.

    ReplyDelete