Thursday, June 18, 2009

Bongo for Longo


First off, I’d like to introduce myself. I am Cougar. I might be one of the people in the above pictures, but I’m probably not. I am probably a strange mix of the 3.

I will tell you that I am completely and utterly obsessed with Evan Longoria, or as the saying goes; I am bongo for Longo. He is one of the most talented players in Major League Baseball. I single handedly have voted for him at least 1000 times for this years’ All-Star Game. I won’t sleep the night before voting ends to ensure he is the AL leading vote getter. I won’t even go into how many times I voted for him as the last player voted into the game in 2008.

This will be the segment where I gush over our stud third-baseman.

It looks as though Evan has found his power stroke. He has hit the ball out of the park in each of the last 2 games. Anyone who has watched the games know those balls would have been out of any park, not just a homer friendly park like Coors Field. Heck, in the new Yankee Stadium those shots would have ended up in the upper deck.

I was a little worried after Evan hurt his hamstring a few weeks back. The ensuing 0-19 slump gave me nightmares. These last 2 games have shown that Longo is just starting to heat up and even when not playing the best ball that he can, he is a force to be reckoned with.

Longoria is the centerpiece of the Rays and he needs to continue to crank the ball. If he can keep up his power, then it will force opposing managers into tough decisions like whether they should pitch to Longoria or take their chances with AL homerun leader Carlos Pena. Pick your poison.

If Evan Longoria can really catch fire, he will thrust the Rays back to the top of the AL East. These last 2 games are the exact reasons why I am bongo for Longo.

No comments:

Post a Comment